[MPlayer-users] Generate image file output with mencoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 3 22:07:20 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 06:23:50AM -0700, James Board wrote:
> >So I think you would be better off just writing the intermediate file
> >then using a tool like mplayer to write out the individual frames.
>
> No.  I know my use case.  I'm better off writing out the individual
> frames as they are generated with mencoder and the IRTC filter.  Is this possible
> (that was the original question).

Not really, and thus you probably aren't better off with mencoder,
especially since mencoder might break any time and not be fixed
for a long time (as happened recently with audio encoding for example).
So it is a good question _why_ you are not using mplayer
or FFmpeg. Both should be able to handle this kind of thing just fine.
However these options should kind of work with mencoder if
you make sure to update first:
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=png:format=rgb24 -of lavf -lavfopts format=image2