[MPlayer-users] Generate image file output with mencoder

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 15:23:50 CEST 2013

>The size of individual frames (even if they are compressed as say jpeg

>or something) is going to dwarf the size of the intermediate file.

Yes.  I know this.  And this is what I want.  And furthermore, I want
to use a lossless format for the individual files.  I don't care about disk space.
Is this possible (the original question)?

>So I think you would be better off just writing the intermediate file
>then using a tool like mplayer to write out the individual frames.

No.  I know my use case.  I'm better off writing out the individual
frames as they are generated with mencoder and the IRTC filter.  Is this possible
(that was the original question).

>Depending on your system you could try using like filenames that
>represent stdin/stdout.  If on a unix-like system, shells like bash
>provide things like /dev/stdout.  Linux has something like
>/proc/self/fd/1.  Of course, you need to be careful to turn off ALL
>output to stdout in mencoder.  And depending on the libraries in use,
>that may not be possible (no controls tied in).

I don't see how this pertains to my question.  Where does bash, or stdin, or stdout
come nto play?  I want to use mencoder to write individual fiels for each frame,
and not a video.  Is this possible?

Thank you.