[MPlayer-users] De-interlacing and YUV420 pixels

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Nov 23 12:55:24 CET 2013

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> >> What is ridiculous?>
> >You're using a over 3 years old version.
>
> No, that isn't ridiculous.  Because everytime I or anyone else mentions
> mencoder, Carl tells them ffmpeg is vastly superior ffmpeg

I didn't say this.

> and that nobody use

I certainly didn't say this (although I didn't use it for a very long time)

> or updates mencoder anymore.

This is neither true nor did I say this.

What I said is that since MEncoder is not actively maintained anymore
you should only use it for specific tasks that cannot be done with
FFmpeg because (as is the case for yadif) even features that originated
in MPlayer / MEncoder were often improved when they were ported to
FFmpeg.

> If nobody updates mencoder
> anymore, why does what version I use?  That's ridiculous.

> What's really ridiculous is that every time I try to substitute an
> ffmpeg command for an mencoder command, it doesn't work.
> Every time.  Even his ffmpeg solution 'ffmpeg -i input -vf yadif'
> didn't work.  The pixels were all blue-shifted.

*Please* report such problems!
We (the FFmpeg developers) like bug reports and we do work on them and many
issues are fixed every week while we (the MEncoder developers) think it makes
no sense to work on MEncoder because it is not a long-term solution for anything.

So please post your failing command line together with the complete, uncut
console output either here or on ffmpeg-users and I will try to help you.

Yes, your MEncoder problem can be fixed but the problem is that kerndeint
is known to be both slower and produce worse quality than yadif so you should
really only use it if you have no other choice.

Carl Eugen