[MPlayer-users] MPlayer crashes playing DVDs via dvdnav:// since the recent libdvdnav updates

Josh joshf87 at live.com
Mon Jan 21 01:51:56 CET 2013

On 1/19/2013 09:47, Ilja Sekler wrote:
> Am 02.01.2013 00:42, schrieb Josh:
>
>> On 1/1/2013 14:33, Ilja Sekler wrote:
>>
>>> since r1245 of libdvdnav [...] MPlayer crashes immediately when
>>> trying to play a DVD (every DVD I tried so far) via dvdnav://
>>> [...] Reverting libdvdnav to the state prior to r1245 fixes the
>>> breakage. [...]
>>
>> I had the same issue on MinGW/Windows and posted on the
>> dvdnav-discuss list, and like you reverted the change from r1245. I
>> updated to r1250 and reverted that single change. Up to r1250 has
>> otherwise actually improved playback. [...]
>
> Thank you for pointing to your posts on dvdnav-discuss. This is sort of
> irritating that 40 days since dvdnav in MPlayer was broken, no one of
> the leading developers seems to care. Of course, both reverting just
> r1245 or building against the older system libdvdnav "solves" the issue,
> but this state of affairs is far from ideal.
>
> Should DVD playback in MPlayer become officially deprecated as far as it
> is effectively unmaintained?

Mine apparently doesn't crash in a manner to provide a backtrace, but
absolutely nothing plays with dvdnav:// because of r1245 with "Assertion
failed: 0, file libdvdnav/vm/vm.c, line 1586" and not just my build:

Reading symbols from
E:\Buildsys\projects\mplayer\mplayer\mplayer.exe...done.
(gdb) run -vo direct3d dvdnav://1 -dvd-device "F:\Videos\Movies\Man on Fire"
Starting program: E:\Buildsys\projects\mplayer\mplayer\mplayer.exe -vo
direct3d dvdnav://1 -dvd-device "F:\Videos\Movies\Man on Fire"
[New Thread 1844.0xbb8]
MPlayer Redxii-SVN-r35801-4.6.3 (C) 2000-2013 MPlayer Team
Custom build by Redxii, http://smplayer.sourceforge.net
Build date: Sun Jan 20 19:33:30 EST 2013
Compiled against FFmpeg version N-49067-g00cae86

202 audio & 421 video codecs

Playing dvdnav://1.
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version MPlayer-custom
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.12 for DVD access
libdvdread: Could not open F:\Videos\Movies\Man on Fire with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open F:\Videos\Movies\Man on Fire for reading
libdvdread: Device F:\Videos\Movies\Man on Fire inaccessible, CSS
authentication not available.
NAME OPEN FAILED
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file
'E:\Buildsys\projects\mplayer\mplayer\dvdnav\.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Assertion failed: 0, file libdvdnav/vm/vm.c, line 1586

way.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 22 in module: open_stream
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We
can't and
   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a
possible bug.
[Inferior 1 (process 1844) exited with code 01]
(gdb) bt
No stack.
(gdb)