[MPlayer-users] Wrong aspect ratio when playing old mkv files

andrew at WARnux.com andrew at WARnux.com
Fri Dec 27 15:18:02 CET 2013

On 12/24/2013 01:14 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>   <andrew <at> WARnux.com> writes:
>
>> I wish I could use FFMpeg for everything, but to the
>> best of my knowledge, it doesn't do everything that I need.
> That may be possible but Thomas did not mention such a task.
>
>> I commonly need to de-telicine video (pullup filter, I
>> believe), and only MEncoder does it.
> FFmpeg contains two inverse telecine filters, the (improved)
> pullup filter from MPlayer and a (said-to-be) superior
> filter named fieldmatch, please rtfm.
>
> Merry Christmas, Carl Eugen

Thank you!  Finally, I can stop depending upon MEncoder!

The docs appear to be wrong:
http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#fieldmatch
-vf fieldmatch=combmatch=full,decimate
Causes major audio sync issues, however, using mpdecimate instead works
perfectly:
-vf fieldmatch=combmatch=full,mpdecimate

Also, I was hoping I could do some kind of auto combing feature like
Handbrake has by using the line below, but it causes major audio sync
and frame skipping issues:
-vf fieldmatch=combmatch=full,yadif=deint=interlaced,mpdecimate
Is there any way to do what Handbrake does?