[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 17 01:42:31 CET 2013

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> > > Yes it was serious.  The whole point of the  thread
> > > was how to generate mpeg4 files with 422 pixels using
> >
> > Please stop (immediately) using "mpeg4" for H.264.
> > This is just misleading. (for you!)
>
> See, I don't quite understand this. MPEG-4 is the name of
> the codec.

As said, MPEG-4 is the name of a collection of specifications.
Since it contains audio, video and container specifications,
its usage always leads to confusion. Since "ASP" isn't very
catchy, it is ok to use mpeg4 for asp.

> There's MPEG-4 AVC and there's MPEG-4 ASP. Are you saying I
> should use "H.264." for MPEG-4 AVC

Yes. (I believe I wrote this before in this thread. Am I wrong?)

> and then use "MPEG-4" for MPEG-4 ASP?

Yes, see above.

> > > mencoder. If I can coerce ffmpeg to do it, and the quality
> > > and performance are acceptable, then I will use  ffmpeg.
> > > But I don't know how.  The sample commands that I  found
> > > online didn't work.
> >
> > Did you report this?
>
> Yes.  See the post where I stated this:
>      "The sample commands that I  found online didn't work."

I (and Google) failed to find it.

> > > I didn't see a request for more information,

I of course assumed you meant that you did not see a
request for more information in the last three weeks,
I did not ask for more information when I answered
your explanation.

> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/70333/focus=70367
>
> Yes. That was the previous thread. That's 3 weeks old.

Yes, that was the time I waited for an explanation.

> Over the weekend I posted the full ffmpeg command and
> the full output.

But you did not explain what shows you the "blue tint".

> I know you saw it. Because you answered me. See the post
> titled 'ffvhuff -> rawvideo: all pixels have blue tint.'.

As said, this wasn't the point.

You still owe me the explanation how you still see the
blue tint.

Carl Eugen