[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 23:23:47 CET 2013

> > Yes it was serious.  The whole point of the  thread
> > was how to generate mpeg4 files with 422 pixels using
>
> Please stop (immediately) using "mpeg4" for H.264.
> This is just misleading. (for you!)

See, I don't quite understand this. MPEG-4 is the name of the codec.
There's MPEG-4 AVC and there's MPEG-4 ASP.  Are you saying I should
use "H.264." for MPEG-4 AVC and then use "MPEG-4" for MPEG-4 ASP?

> > mencoder. If I can coerce ffmpeg to do it, and the quality
> > and performance are acceptable, then I will use  ffmpeg.
> > But I don't know how.  The sample commands that I  found
> > online didn't work.
>
> Did you report this?

Yes.  See the post where I stated this:
     "The sample commands that I  found online didn't work."

> >  > I still have problems with 'blue' pixels when  converting from
> >  > ffhuff-compressed AVI files with yuv422  pixels to non-compressed
> >  > AVI files with yuv422 pixels.  >  > I never saw a response to that issue.
> >  >
> >  >You had not reported it in a way that allowed me to
> >  >reproduce this problem.
> >
> > I didn't see a request for more information,
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/70333/focus=70367

Yes.  That was the previous thread.  That's 3 weeks old.  Over the weekend I posted
the full ffmpeg command and the full output.  I know you saw it.  Because you answered
me. See the post titled 'ffvhuff -> rawvideo: all pixels have blue tint.'.

Thanks for trying to help me, Carl.  It seems we aren't on the same page 90 percent
of the time when we communicate.   Thanks for trying.