[MPlayer-users] OT:Nvidia performance, was: Any plans for VA-API?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Wed May 30 10:17:14 CEST 2012

>> vaapi does full bitstream offloading for h264, i.e. mplayer plays
>> 1920x1080 video using 1-2% CPU. vdpau uses approx. 20%, which sounds
>> like not full hardware decoding.
>>

> My GeForce 210 (GT218 CPU) only 3-6% CPU when playing a 10.8 Mbps h264
> video.
>
> So, I'd say that you should check which nvidia GPU is in that card;
> maybe it's old enough that it doesn't have PureVideo Feature Set C.

Err, I'm not 1000% sure that I've seen the difference on h264... Could
have been MPEG2... There was a codec which was fully offloaded on intel,
but not on nvidia. And I've used bitrates around 35-60Mbps.

I've used a GT 520 (GF119), which supports (wikipedia) Feature Set D. In
contrast to wikipedia, it did not even decode video with heigth>2048
pixels. Might be a driver problem, but I can not do anything but waiting
for a new driver.

My goal is not to improve the performance of a nvidia card, but to not
need it. Intel graphics has the power, and comes with CPU plus board for
free.

Greets,
Kiste