[MPlayer-users] Any plans for VA-API?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Wed May 30 09:08:30 CEST 2012

Am 30.05.2012 08:55, schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> Oliver Seitz<info<at>  vtnd.de>  writes:
>
>> There are settings where the intel HD graphics core with
>> open-source drivers beats nvidias G520 chip with
>> proprietary drivers.
>
> Did you test yourself (how?) or is there a source for this claim?

I've found some differences myself:

vaapi does full bitstream offloading for h264, i.e. mplayer plays
1920x1080 video using 1-2% CPU. vdpau uses approx. 20%, which sounds
like not full hardware decoding.

The most obvious difference I saw was that vaapi did decode two videos
at the same time without any effort, while vdpau seemed to be very
confused and gave two horribly stuttering videos.

> No, it is a pity that nobody sent a patch to mplayer-dev-eng.

I'd love to, but I can't :-) I'm a (perhaps experienced) user, but no
programmer of the C family of languages.

Greets,
Kiste