[MPlayer-users] Svn 34933 fails while trying to link on Fedora 17 beta x86_64

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon May 21 22:28:27 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 01:04:13PM -0700, stan wrote:
> libmpdemux/demux_rtp.o: In function `demux_close_rtp':
> demux_rtp.cpp:(.text+0xbf): undefined reference to `RTSPClient::teardownMediaSession(MediaSession&)'
> libmpdemux/demux_rtp.o: In function `demux_open_rtp':
> demux_rtp.cpp:(.text+0x758): undefined reference to `RTSPClient::setupMediaSubsession(MediaSubsession&, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)'
> demux_rtp.cpp:(.text+0x7f3): undefined reference to `RTSPClient::playMediaSession(MediaSession&, double, double, float)'
> demux_rtp.cpp:(.text+0xa64): undefined reference to `RTSPClient::createNew(UsageEnvironment&, int, char const*, unsigned short)'
> demux_rtp.cpp:(.text+0xaab): undefined reference to `RTSPClient::describeWithPassword(char const*, char const*, char const*, unsigned char, int)'
> demux_rtp.cpp:(.text+0xbc9): undefined reference to `RTSPClient::describeURL(char const*, Authenticator*, unsigned char, int)'

Fixed by disabling LIVE555 if such an incompatible version is detected.
I am kind of considering to leave it at that, since at least on Debian
LIVE555 is only available as .a files. Together with the fact that these
.a files are also incompatible with -fpie (which I'd like to make the
default at some point) I'd say for security reasons it's better to
force everyone to look at and if necessary fix any alternatives to it.
Trying to summarize the above less technical: If Debian publishes
a security update to LIVE555 you can only profit from it by recompiling
MPlayer and LIVE555 is incompatible with some security hardening
methods.