[MPlayer-users] Hardcoding subtitles with mencoder / mplayer

Jos van Riswick josvanr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 19:09:23 CEST 2012

I think so, the output format doesn't matter I think.

I'm now using this command line:

mencoder -sub movie.srt -subfont-text-scale 1.8  -ofps 6 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2:vbitrate=800000 -nosound -o
movie.withsubtitles.avi movie.avi

that works fine ! The subtitles will be 'burned' into move.subtitles.avi.
Only remember that with these file names, when
you do

mplayer movie.avi

the subtitles defined in  'movie.str' will be displayed by mplayer
'on the fly'......

Jos