[MPlayer-users] How programmatically determine the correct one of two english soundtracks for an encode

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Sat Jul 7 15:46:20 CEST 2012

On 07/07/2012 03:36 AM, houghi wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:31:07PM +0200, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
>>> My "guess" is that typically lowered number tracks are preferred.  But
>>> I'm not entirely sure...
>>
>> Unfortunately it's not the rule - I happen to have an X-Files DVD loaded right
>> now and stream id 128 is the commentary on a few episodes, while the other
>> have normal audio there.
>
> Why not encode them both? I am in the process of ripping all my DVDs. I
[snip]

> I must say that I use Handbrake and not mencoder or mplayer. The reason is
> that it is much easier to use for ripping. (Actually I use HandBrakeCLI)
> For me it is a better tool for this specific task. mplayer and mencoder
> are much better for other tasks.

+1  I like running HandBrakeCLI in scripts through at(1).

Also, "HandBrakeCLI --scan" gives descriptions of each audio channel, so
you can more easily decide which to transcode.

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental