[MPlayer-users] OSX: does mplayer support VDADecoder API ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jan 17 08:03:13 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 04:19:30AM +0000, Zongyao Qu wrote:
> > If somebody wants to spend significant time on this:
> > It might be better to implement VideoToolBox instead, see:
> > http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-for-ios-and-atv2-now-available/
>
> FFmpeg has already added the decoder, called "vda" late last year.
> It is still not supported by mplayer currently.
> I would like to contribute and test, but I don't know where to start.

Unfortunately as for all hardware decoding (except crystalhd) the part
that FFmpeg contains is only a tiny part of what is required.
The video out part that is needed must be implemented in MPlayer and
nobody is interested enough in making even helper functions for that
available in FFmpeg to actually do so.