[MPlayer-users] DVD cache setting

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Aug 19 22:29:27 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 08/19/2012 10:13 PM, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> W dniu 18.08.2012 15:23, Kevin DeKorte pisze:
>>
>> For awhile I have heard that DVDs should be played using the -nocache
>> option. With modern DVD drives being so fast and the spin up spin down
>> times actually causing lag which is the better option for DVD playback
>>
>> using cache with DVDs
>>
>> using dvd-speed=1 with DVDs (although this requires root privs, correct).
>
> I was the one who was initially having problem with this. I tried
> without gnome-mplayer, and -cache does not work very well: -cache 8192
> will cause nothing to be played.
> I tried limiting the DVD speed too, but it still did not prevent the
> videos from being jerky.
> The machine most certainly has more than enough computing power to
> decode the stream, and totem plays it very smoothly. Is there anything
> else I could try?

You could try VLC. ;-)

Well, more seriously you could try dvd:// instead of dvdnav:// and use
some cache (I use 4MiB). For a DVD containing several episodes you
likely need to find out which titles to play. You can use the -identify
option for this:

mplayer -noconfig all -cache-min 0 -vo null -ao null -frames 0
-really-quiet -identify dvd:// 2> /dev/null

This prints, among other info, the titles found and their length in
seconds. You then specify the title to play (say you want to play title 5):

mplayer -cache 4096 -vo vdpau dvd://5

Regards,
Erik