[MPlayer-users] DVD cache setting

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Aug 19 14:25:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 08/18/2012 10:07 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 05:03:11PM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
>> On 08/18/2012 03:23 PM, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
>>>
>>> For awhile I have heard that DVDs should be played using the -nocache
>>> option. With modern DVD drives being so fast and the spin up spin down
>>> times actually causing lag which is the better option for DVD playback
>>>
>>> using cache with DVDs
>>>
>>> using dvd-speed=1 with DVDs (although this requires root privs, correct).
>>
>> I don't know if the -nocache option for DVDs is still a suggested
>> option. AFAIK it had to do that with cache, two threads were
>> spawned, one reading, the other playing, which didn't fare too well
>> with then's DVD implementation. But it also varied if you used DVD
>> or DVDNAV, and if I remember correctly, quite a while ago (could be
>> two years or more) Nico mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary
>> anymore using -nocache. But there are certainly more informed people
>> here on the list.
>
> It is indeed mostly DVDNAV that had an issue, though some things still
> work better with -nocache for both (e.g. the displayed time is more
> accurate).

I am using the cache for dvd:// playback and disable it for dvdnav://
playback, as this works well in my experience.

I have a [protocol.dvdnav] section in my ~/.mplayer/config file for this:

[protocol.dvdnav]
mouse-movements=yes
nocache=yes

> dvd-speed 1 seems a bit extreme, I wouldn't go below 2.
> A lot of drives actually do that on their own, I don't know if that
> is properly advertised (and I can't decide on whether that actually is a
> good thing).

I don't change the DVD drive's speed, but mine is quite old (Plextor
PX-130A).

HTH,
Erik