[MPlayer-users] DVD cache setting

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Aug 18 22:07:07 CEST 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 05:03:11PM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> On 08/18/2012 03:23 PM, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> >

> >For awhile I have heard that DVDs should be played using the -nocache
> >option. With modern DVD drives being so fast and the spin up spin down
> >times actually causing lag which is the better option for DVD playback
> >
> >using cache with DVDs
> >
> >using dvd-speed=1 with DVDs (although this requires root privs, correct).
> >
> >Kevin
>
> I don't know if the -nocache option for DVDs is still a suggested
> option. AFAIK it had to do that with cache, two threads were
> spawned, one reading, the other playing, which didn't fare too well
> with then's DVD implementation. But it also varied if you used DVD
> or DVDNAV, and if I remember correctly, quite a while ago (could be
> two years or more) Nico mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary
> anymore using -nocache. But there are certainly more informed people
> here on the list.

It is indeed mostly DVDNAV that had an issue, though some things still
work better with -nocache for both (e.g. the displayed time is more
accurate).
dvd-speed 1 seems a bit extreme, I wouldn't go below 2.
A lot of drives actually do that on their own, I don't know if that
is properly advertised (and I can't decide on whether that actually is a
good thing).
Otherwise I don't think it should need root privs to use dvd-speed,
though I imagine you might have to give yourself privileges for
CD/DVD _burning_, but not sure.