[MPlayer-users] MPEGTS subtitles ; only second line is shown

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Apr 9 14:07:33 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 05:05:34PM +0200, Rene Dohmen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Network TV tuner which is capable of streaming HD
> content via HTTP protocol. I tried a lot of players (e.g. VLC, Mplayer1
> from svn and different builds of Mplayer2).
>
> I've one small problem: when I enable subtitles (by pressing "j"), I only
> see the second line of each subtitle.

That is a known problem. DVB subtitles can consist of multiple bitmaps.
Currently MPlayer can only display the first (since there is only one
vo_vobsub, the solution should be to just have multiple bmpsub[] and
use those instead of the single vo_vobsub that was only ever meant for
DVD subtitles - as far as I know all the code beyond like OSD can handle
multiple subs just fine).

> Weird things is that it only happens when playing HD content, SD show 2
> subtitle lines.

Probably they use different DVB subtitle encoders.

> Is there some cmd line option, I'm not aware of? Or could this be a bug in
> the subtitle code?

Not really, just a missing feature.