[MPlayer-users] Framedrop problem with VDPAU DI

Dom H speedsix.lists at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:41:23 CET 2011

Hi Carl,

> Interesting that you try to deinterlace a (predominantly) progressive sample...

I wasn't aware it was most progressive, video isn't particularly
smooth without the DI or is that just the frame doubling? Silly
question, how do I know if the video is interlaced, is it a problem
running the deint setting on progressive material?

> Unfortunately, I cannot parse this.
> It would be great if you could post mplayer output (without transport stream
> debugging information but preferable with -noconfig all) here.

How can I remove the transport info? The log was the result of using
the -v option. Should I be using some other way of logging?

> Do I remember correctly:
> The file plays fine with
> mplayer -vc ffh264 -vo vdpau and
> mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau -vo vdpau
> ?

Correct.

> but gets out-of-sync for
> mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=2 (later?)
> mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=3 (sooner?)
> (which -vc? both?)

deint=3 seems to cause perhaps more problem points. -vc would always
be ffh264vdpau

> What does qvdpautest report?

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz
NVIDIA GPU GeForce 210 (GT218) at PCI:2:0:0 (GPU-0)

VDPAU API version : 1
VDPAU implementation : NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library  285.05.09
Fri Sep 23 19:17:37 PDT 2011

SURFACE GET BITS: 1143.35 M/s
SURFACE PUT BITS: 905.532 M/s

MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 67 frames/s
MPEG DECODING (1280x720): 162 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 64 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1280x720): 116 frames/s
VC1 DECODING (1440x1080): 83 frames/s
MPEG4 DECODING (1920x1080): 67 frames/s

MIXER WEAVE (1920x1080): 298 frames/s
MIXER BOB (1920x1080): 494 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 139 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 91 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 185 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 60 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 48 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 68 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 214 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + HQSCALING (720x576 video to 1920x1080
display): 128 fields/s

MULTITHREADED MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 62 frames/s
MULTITHREADED MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 94 fields/s

> What is your monitor refresh rate?
> (If it is 50Hz, deinterlacing with frame rate duplication will not work
> correctly with current MPlayer, patches and a fork exist.)

50Hz yes, 60Hz seems a bit better but it still happens.

Some other observations about these BBC HD recordings

Changing to the 2ch audio track (NAR) moves the problem points to
different parts of the video. Points that 100% of the time cause the
problem, now won't.

Changing the audio track at all will trigger the framedropping, just
noticed this. It's got to be an audio problem.

Switching to Alsa dosn't make a difference (suspending pulse first)

The audio is always in front, in all media players I've tried. Audio
in other videos, a blu-ray rip for example is perfectly in sync.

The stock Ubuntu mplayer2 drops a few frames at the problem points but
stops and the video plays as normal. It does have a tendency to crash
though especially when seeking.

Thanks

Dominic