[MPlayer-users] Compile MPlayer without video support

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Mar 31 18:33:23 CEST 2011

Dennis Borgmann <dennis.borgmann <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Is it possible - and if so, how - to compile mplayer absolutely without
> video support? I#d like to use it as audio player only and therefore
> don't need any video handling.

Trying to be more verbose:
You did not explain what you are trying to achieve, my suspicion is minimal size
of executable.
For this, you do not have to worry about vo_mpegpes (which you cannot disable
via configure), it is ~5k, while libavcodec has several MB, and I assume the
video codecs are more than half the size (this may of course be wrong, I did not
test, but there certainly is a lot space to save).
So after you disabled all video codecs (and the audio codecs you don't need and
possibly the demuxers you don't need), you should start to search for parts of
FFmpeg that MPlayer's configure enables unconditionally and try to disable them.

Carl Eugen

PS: If you really want to disable mpegpes, I suspect commenting out the
"&mpcodecs_vd_mpegpes," line in vd.c (and possibly the mpegpes parts of
Makefile) should be sufficient. This will of course not disable the core part of
MPlayer that contains a lot of video-related code.