[MPlayer-users] Compile MPlayer without video support

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Mar 31 14:36:01 CEST 2011

Dennis Borgmann <dennis.borgmann <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Is it possible - and if so, how - to compile mplayer absolutely without
> video support? I#d like to use it as audio player only and therefore
> don't need any video handling.

You can use all the disable-* options listed in configure --help, you can
additionally disable all video codecs (and possibly video formats, parsers and
muxers) in libavcodec/libavformat, just play with the appropriate
disable-options. You may find that you can disable some FFmpeg components that
are enabled by default if you don't need the video decoders.

(Did you consider using ffmpeg? It supports alsa output, and I suspect it is
easier to "trim it" if I understand your question correctly. It has obvious
disadvantages though, for example you would have to implement a pause option.)

Carl Eugen