[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and the missing ffmpeg

Henry defsyn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 03:49:45 CEST 2011

You're right. I just looked at the source tree that I had updated with svn.
It had ffmpeg/libswscale/* , but no .svn. I assume on update svn removed
everything except libswscale for some strange reason.

The official current document on MPlayerHQ.hu says that all you need is svn.
This documentation does not appear to be up to date.

I was under the impression you had to clone your ffmpeg directory into the
mplayer tree yourself and update it yourself.

git clone git://videolan.org/..........
And then if you wanted to update the ffmpeg directory you had to use git
pull after changing into the ffmpeg directory..

This has been working for me under Linux. Don't have a successful current
build under MinGW32 yet using gcc 4.5.2; but that's probably a MinGW
problem.

But if you wanted a bash script to place inside a tree with an already git
cloned ffmpeg directory, you would probably just need 3 lines:

svn update
cd ffmpeg
git pull

I wish a developer from mplayer would update the documentation on their site
to state the current process to get the latest build. I thought I knew. But
after these posts, I'm not so sure.