[MPlayer-users] UDP -udp-slave video sync

Rob Canning rob at goto10.org
Wed Jun 8 22:46:07 CEST 2011

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:40:57PM +0100, rob at goto10.org wrote:
>
>> ok great thank you! - i applied the patch and now it works as
>> expected
>>

> Unfortunately I couldn't see the patch. However the behaviour
> was due to a stupid bug I introduced, and that happened because
> with vsync enabled the video I tested actually did run at about
> correct speed so the behaviour wasn't as bad as what you experienced.
> Assuming it really works this time, the change in SVN should have

is this a recent change in the SVN - should i update and recompile it ?
> the advantage that the slave instances will start playing independently
> after 30 seconds.

does this mean after 30 seconds of being synced then the independent
playback will kick in and the audio/video sync lag will be able to
rectify itself?

>> - the only thing i have noticed is that the audio and video
>> go out of sync on the slave instance -  its as if the udp packets
>> tell the video which frame it should be playing but the audio doesnt
>> jump to keep up
>>

> Well, MPlayer never ever adjusts audio playback speed so it can't
> keep sync in this case.
>

>> (i know if i were doing a video wall then you could just use the
>> audio from one source - but this is not what i am doing)
>>

> Might help to say what you are doing. You can certainly just
> set up an audio server and transmit the audio to the slaves via
> network, independent of the MPlayer slaves.

ok so i have 8 computers each playing a 720HD mkv file with 5.1 sound -
each playback computer needs to have the video and 5.1 in sync and each
of the 8 computers also in sync - the material on each of the playback
computers is different but of equal duration - the udp master slave
thing seemed like it might be a solution but the lack of absolute sync
between the audio and video within each machine is a problem
any suggestions on how to make this happen would be most appreciated

thanks

rob