[MPlayer-users] Using the D510MO Mini-ITX platform for full HD playback

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Fri Jan 7 20:17:38 CET 2011

On 1/7/2011 1:04 PM, László Monda wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Oliver Seitz<info at vtnd.de>  wrote:
>> Am 07.01.2011 19:07, schrieb László Monda:
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I've bought a D510MO Mini-ITX mainboard which has an integrated Atom
>>> D510 CPU running on 1.66GHz.  It has 2 threads per 2 cores.  After
>>> installing the latest and greatest Ubuntu on it I realized that it's
>>> not capable of full HD playback which I'm not surprised about given
>>> the modest performance of this system.
>>>
>>> My question is whether it's possible to play back full HD on this
>>> platform without any glitches when using a powerful graphics card that
>>> could accelerate the playback.  Also, I'm looking for a card that
>>> isn't power hungry since I'd like to keep the power consumption of the
>>> system low.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

<not to be stoned for heresy, please>

I run plenty of Linux boxes and Windows side by side and the Linux video
drivers are simple horrible throughout and mplayer does not do the best
job decoding. I have a Win7 system with an 8500 onboard chip which is
not exactly HD quality and a AMD 4500 CPU (dual core low power
consumption) but both the Arcsoft and CoreAVC codecs let me play back
full 1920x1080p without dropping frames including the dreaded killa
sample. None of the open source codecs can, not mplayer, not VLC, not
ffdshow. One of the reasons I dropped XBMC in favor of Win 7 MC was
because Linux HD hardware requirements are so much stiffer because of
the inefficiency of software and drivers. OS may be free but hardware
required more expensive.

I am plain stating a fact here, please don't kill the messenger. I have
played with many configurations and a variety of hardware
configurations. I cannot play back full HD on Windows using mplayer
using a 9750 quadcore and a 9800 GTX (60 fps, that is)

--
/re

"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea"

Tommy Douglass