[MPlayer-users] file played with -edl gets into infinite loop

Towncat towncat.towncat at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 14:06:47 CET 2011

I finally sorted this out -- someone might learn from my mistake, so I
note this. I was trying to do a cut with -edl and mencoder so that
last part of the film (from a certain point to the very end) would be
dropped. I previously received advice on this forum that to designate
the end of the film in the edl file I should use a number which is
definitely much larger than the actual end, eg. 999999. Now the
problem seems to have been that I used an insanely large number,
something like 999999999, which might have caused an overflow or
something so that the film would jump back to the beginning again and
again. Using a reasonable number (in my case, 90000 seconds) instead
of the exact end of the film I could solve the problem.

So the edl file looks something like this:

300.00000 90000 0

Cheers,
tc