[MPlayer-users] trying to use mplayer with knoppix ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 23:50:33 CEST 2011

>> The assumption that you install programs in a certain static context does not
>> make sense to a lot of people out there and quite frankly it creates lots of
>> problems,

>I absolutely agree.
>That is the reason why we always suggest to compile current svn head with
>"./configure && make".
~
 "static context" means something different when you are using a live
CD. If I do as you suggest I would "install" mplayer to RAM, which
isn't really an installation
~
 Notice also that if you keep configuration and supporting data files
such as codecs in external drives/partitions (in my case I use a USB
powered microdrive), you have no way of knowing before hand what
denomination your hardware/OS will give to the device under which the
directory tree will be
~
 Now, if you could give the various mplayer configuration options at
run time you could write a script to customize mplayer's start up
process. This is the flexibility some people need
~
 lbrtchx