[MPlayer-users] trying to use mplayer with knoppix ...

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Aug 28 21:40:49 CEST 2011

Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx <at> gmail.com> writes:

>  I think mplayer should have such run time usage options instead of
> having to compile them into it statically.

I may be misunderstanding you, but you reported that a specific MPlayer version
that was forcibly (and knowingly) compiled to be broken does not play DVDs. The
solution is to compile MPlayer with "./configure && make" (you will need either
xv or opengl development headers). Now you are suggesting this should be a run
time option?

> The assumption that you install programs in a certain static context does not
> make sense to a lot of people out there and quite frankly it creates lots of
> problems,

I absolutely agree.
That is the reason why we always suggest to compile current svn head with
"./configure && make".

(In case this was unclear: Please note that neither for your specific problem
nor for 99% of all other media files the binary decoders make any difference.)

Carl Eugen

PS: I absolutely never "install" MPlayer, I simply run it from the build
directory (or wherever I copied it from there).