[MPlayer-users] Does mplayer support Type1 fonts in mkv?

Mon Apr 25 14:30:21 CEST 2011

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2011.04.25 at 13:27:54 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> > > Because I have .mkv file which contains type1 font attached -
> > > le______.PFB & le______.pfm, and mplayer prints
> > >
> > > [ass] Error opening memory font: le______.pfm
> > >
> > > at start of playback. I wonder if something is broken with this mkv file
> > > or that mplayer doesn't support embedded type1 fonts. Is it supposed to
> > > work or not?
> >
> > Uhh, does really no one knows at all if mplayer supports embedded fonts
> > or not? I could upload an example, but I have no idea if it's broken or
> > not and if this is meant to work at all!
>
> MPlayer uses exclusively freetype and fontconfig.
> If they support it, MPlayer supports it, if they don't it doesn't.

They do support it, of course. At least system-wide type1 fonts work.
But mplayer might have additional problems related to that, like, idk,
since it doesn't extract fonts into directory anymore, only in memory,
maybe it messes up extraction of both files before activating that font
and type1 font refuses to work because, say, mplayer tries to call it
when only .pfb is extracted, not .pfm. Or it doesn't like the fact that
.PFB extension is in uppercase here and .pfm isn't.

I could do better bugreport and upload sample, but is there anyone in
mplayer working in that area right now?

--

Vladimir