[MPlayer-users] Java OSD on Linux

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Apr 7 23:15:29 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 05:15:07PM +0100, frtrack-mplayer at yahoo.com wrote:
> I've been trying out the MPlayer -wid option to embed video into a Java window.
> It works just fine on Windows and, after I shipped around a few bumps, on Linux
> as well. However, on Windows, I am able to draw an OSD with Java on top of the
> video while on Linux I have not been able to find a way of drawing an OSD. On
> Windows, I can simply override the paint method of a JFrame or Canvas and
> whatever I paint there shows on top of the video. On Linux the same code will
> display only the video. Now I am wondering if anyone ever managed to draw an OSD
> in Java on top of MPlayer? Here is a bit more detail of what I have tried so
> far:
>
> Create a JFrame, override its paint method, pass the JFrame window handle to
> MPlayer: Works just fine on Windows; on Linux I just get a grey window, no
> video, no OSD.
>
> Create a Canvas, add it to the JFrame, override the Canvas paint method, pass
> the Canvas window handle to MPlayer: Works just fine on Windows, on Linux I get
> the video displayed but no OSD.

This is too little information, you need to try at least different vos and
check how the behaviour differs.
However there is no method that will work in general - e.g. when using XVideo
with hardware without colokey support it's completely impossible to draw
anything on top. Even the other cases will be differing levels of pain,
unless you restrict yourself to one specific setup.