[MPlayer-users] Java OSD on Linux

frtrack-mplayer at yahoo.com frtrack-mplayer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 18:15:07 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've been trying out the MPlayer -wid option to embed video into a Java window.
It works just fine on Windows and, after I shipped around a few bumps, on Linux
as well. However, on Windows, I am able to draw an OSD with Java on top of the
video while on Linux I have not been able to find a way of drawing an OSD. On
Windows, I can simply override the paint method of a JFrame or Canvas and
whatever I paint there shows on top of the video. On Linux the same code will
display only the video. Now I am wondering if anyone ever managed to draw an OSD
in Java on top of MPlayer? Here is a bit more detail of what I have tried so
far:

Create a JFrame, override its paint method, pass the JFrame window handle to
MPlayer: Works just fine on Windows; on Linux I just get a grey window, no
video, no OSD.

Create a Canvas, add it to the JFrame, override the Canvas paint method, pass
the Canvas window handle to MPlayer: Works just fine on Windows, on Linux I get
the video displayed but no OSD.

Fabian