[MPlayer-users] Uncompressed AVI?

Uwe Dippel udippel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:10:39 CEST 2010

> Anyway, most of the uncompressed HD I see is in the R210 codec, which
> mplayer won't play in any case. Because of that it's difficult to be
> specific about the problem, but I would suspect our previous correspondents
> are right and you're just having bandwidth issues.

Yes. thanks to all the respondents. I am pretty sure that I *have*
bandwidth issues! Though, I couldn't really make out those messages
from mplayer, that I usually don't get; like
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale
VDecoder init failed :(

I was curious to know, if investing into ramdisk, SSD, RAID, etc.
would not leave me with these incompatibilities, still. The jerkiness
surely comes from lack of data. Though usually, lack of .... results
in other messages here ('too slow to play').
If I wanted to scale/encode, I could do so easily. For specific
reasons, including comparison test series of codecs, I was desirous to
be able to play uncompressed AVI, too. Mplayer seems to do so; but
throws a number a messages that I can't really grasp. Why does it
insist on scaling, e.g.? Because it can't play; or because it doesn't
have the resources?
mplayer -vo help
does not show any 'raw' output.

Uwe