[MPlayer-users] CoreAVC with mplayer

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun Sep 19 23:46:40 CEST 2010

> Barring that for the time being, is it feasible to re-encode the video
> files
> to optimize them for playing on a slower PC?

I had exactly this problem recently - I reencoded with the following very
simple command line:

ffmpeg -i FILEIN -s 720x406 -ab 256k -b 4000k FILEOUT.mp4

This was enough to knock it down to a reasonable-looking result that will
play happily on my 2004 laptop. There are 720p files it will play, but I
haven't found out exactly what characteristics make some playable and others
not.

My choice of resolution was based on something that would be approximately
standard definition and playable on anything not steam powered, but there's
no real reason you couldn't punch any number you fancied in there (subject
to codec technical requirements). Reducing bitrate will, presumably, make it
easier to play.

People on this list will doubtless have a problem with that command line,
but I suspect that's fundamentally true of all command lines one could post
here.