[MPlayer-users] option to avoid & quot; Audio: no sound& quot; ?

Frederik Eaton frederik at ofb.net
Sat Oct 23 01:00:02 CEST 2010

Oliver Seitz <info <at> vtnd.de> writes:
> Create new dummy drivers for audio and video, called "stop" or "fail".
> The drivers don't do anything, they just make mplayer exit when probed.
> If in a -vo or -ao list all the preceeding drivers can't be used, the
> "stop" driver will be invoked, stopping mplayer and thus avoiding
> playing audio only or video only.

That sounds like an excellent solution. Oliver, you seem to be one of the few
people here who has the courage to assume control over a problem, rather than
passing the blame to other software or users.

Frederik

P.S. For the record, I never proposed to change the default. Maybe a long time
ago, the default should have been made more sensible, but now it is too late and
changing it would cause unwarranted amounts of pain. Perhaps the hardest part of
this discussion might be admitting that the original design of mplayer wasn't
perfect.