[MPlayer-users] Can mplayer remix bass from all channels to the LFE channel?

Dom H speedsix.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 15 23:22:36 CET 2010

I want to mimick the behaviour of my hardware decoder using mplayer,
specifically I wanted to know if it is possible to mix bass from all
channels into the LFE channel, even when a discrete LFE channel is
available, eg in a 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack? The decoder in my
receiver will route any low frequency output (below 80Hz) from each
main speaker to the LFE channel, mixing with any existing output on
the discrete LFE track. I'm not too concerned about the frequency
cutoff being applied as my sub has an inline active low pass filter
which I can enable.

I am currently using the pan filter to create a virtual centre channel
(I have a 4.1 system with no centre)

channels=6
af=pan=6:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0.62:0.62:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

I was thinking that I could specify that each output channel from the
codec went to the respective speaker + the lfe channel eg

FL = 1:0:0:0:0:1
FR = 0:1:0:0:0:1

I'm guessing though that this would end up with massive output on the
LFE and not actually mix together with the LFE track properly, if that
makes sense. Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks