[MPlayer-users] Passing your exact channel configuration to codecs to aid proper downmixing

Dom H speedsix.lists at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 14 23:22:23 CET 2010

I have a 4.1 system (no centre speaker) and currently passing
-channels 5 to say the Dolby TrueHD codec, the codec will assume by 5
channels I mean 5 speakers and no sub. To get the desired downmixing
of the centre into my mains I either have to pass -channels 6 and then
use the pan audio filter to downmix the centre, or pass the full
-channels 8 and get pan to downmix the centre and the extra 7th and
8th rear surround speakers into my rears.

Will mplayer ever support passing exact configuration of speakers to
the codec so the desired downmixing can be achieved without having to
resort to using pan? i,e something like -channels 1,0,1,1,1,0,0,1 (FL,
FR, RL, RR, SW)