[MPlayer-users] mencoder - Skipping frame!

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Wed Feb 24 14:29:54 CET 2010

On 2010-02-24 23:24, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> When I record from a USB video grabber using:
>>
>> mencoder-1.0-0.111.20091029svn.fc12.x86_64
>>
>> and:
>>
>> /usr/bin/mencoder tv:// -tv
>> driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0:adevice=hw.0:alsa:forceaudio
>> -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -o out.avi
>>
>> I see lots of these:
>>
>> mencoder - Skipping frame!
>>
>> When replaying, the audio is fine but the video continually displays
>> "catching up" rapid video to resync with the audio.
>>
>> Is it the "Skipping frame" errors causing this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>

> Typically that means you have deinterlacing and/or frame rate wrong.

OK, when I look at the details of a file recorded with the line above using:

	mplayer -identify -frames 1 -ao null -vo null out.avi

the fps is 25.000, but when I add "-fps 25" to the recording line above,
the "Skipping frame!" message does indeed go away and on a short test
file just now, it seems to fix the "catching up" problem too - but using:

	mplayer -identify -frames 1 -ao null -vo null test.avi

on the test file also says that the fps is 25.000 - so what is different
between the two files?  (I see the bitrate is higher in the test file).

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades