[MPlayer-users] Mencoder support for Nvidia GPU ?

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Mon Feb 15 20:44:53 CET 2010

I found a recent article one extremetech.com " Transcoding in the Real
World: ATI Radeon 5750" which got me thinking. Apparently commercial
software like MediaShow and Roxiao Creator have GPU support for
transcoding, with up to 2x improvement in speed over the host CPU.

I wondered if anyone might add Nvidia GPU support in mencoder, or if it
would be worthwhile.

I tried running some of Nvidia's CUDA demos (yes there is Linux support)
on my GeForce 8500, just out of curiosity, and they built fairly easily.
However I'm really out my depth doing anything like that myself,

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada