[MPlayer-users] Flv seeking woes, revisited

Dennis Nezic dennisn at dennisn.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 5 14:15:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 07:26:37 -0400, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 07:19:04 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > The problem still exists with MPlayer 31906-4.3.2, with errors
> > > like:
> >
> > Fixed by r31907, -nocache should work as a workaround for older
> > versions.
>
> Awesome!

Another related (but not exactly) question. I know seeking near the
beginning and end of flv files was changed not too long ago, such that
if one tries to seek before the beginning of the file, it jumps to the
beginning, and, more to the point, if one tries to seek past the end of
the file, it jumps back a few seconds -- different amounts on
different files. (Probably to the last keyframe or something like
that?) And this can be really annoying when it jumps back many seconds,
and no amount of forward-seeking will bring it to the end -- but
instead the user has to wait (tortured) seconds. (Or press esc/enter :b)

When seeking past the end of a file, I think mplayer should stop
playing immediately, (which happens with every other format?), instead
of jumping back a bit :).