[MPlayer-users] Forcing other framerates

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 12:41:40 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 24 April 2010 15:32:40 meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:
>  I bought a new LCD monitor with 60Hz framerate.
>  ... the video plays at 50Hz framerate which then interferes
>  with the 60Hz refresh rate of the monitor.
>  ... Is there any other trick to circumvent the screen
>  distortion I described above?

You could try adjusting the refresh rate of your screen - I do this with my
monitor and projector depending on the material I'm watching.

Try typing 'xrandr' into a terminal and see what refresh rates you are offered
for your screen. Then you can do, for example:

xrandr --output VGA1 --rate 75

to switch to 75Hz refresh (which is what I usually use for 25fps video). The
output name (VGA1) will probably have to be adjusted to match the name you see
in the list of outputs and modes. Your desktop environment may also come with
a tool to allow adjustment of the refresh rate.

You could tweak your xorg.conf (if you have one) or create a partial one (if
you don't have one, your X server should support "incomplete" config files) to
force (or at least favour) the use of a particular refresh rate. As I'm also
in PAL-land, I have 75Hz as the default.

If you're feeling a bit more daring, you could even use something like 'gtf'
to create your own video modes with custom refresh rates which you can test
using xrandr (see the man page!) then add into xorg.conf as modelines, but be
careful that you use vertical/horizontal frequencies that suit your monitor.
(X will probably take care of checking the frequencies in most cases, by
querying the monitor for its capabilities, but it's worth checking the manual
or datasheet anyway.) Your monitor may well be able to do 50Hz, while a mode
with a refresh rate of around 72Hz (or, more precisely, 23.976 x 3) might be
worth having if you use NTSC DVDs at all.

Hope this helps,

Stephen