[MPlayer-users] How can I force mplayer to drop frames more consistently?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Wed Apr 21 09:27:49 CEST 2010

> Dark Shadow wrote:
>>> Off-Topic, if one doesn't need slow-motion and the human-eye needs .05
>>> seconds to view a picture, what is the benefit of those very high(er)
>>> framerates ?
>>
>> I am not sure I just thought if I was going to spend a lot of money on
>> a camcorder I should get a good one. Plus I thought it may help
>> considering I will be recording races and other high speed things with
>> it.
> You know how marketing-guys think, we customers think ?
> More is better, expensive will be better.
> The smaller digital cameras got worse when resolution got above
> 8mega-pixels, because the physical distance of the pixels caused
> interference and for that reason resulted in noticable more noise, which
> was compensated for with software-noise reduction, resulting in less
> picture quality. Reading/Studying Camera test-results may be a good
> thing to invest in some time.

There have been improvements that lead to worsening things, but a frame
rate of 25fps is not a constant that gives the best impression. It's a
number that has been set a long time ago as a compromise between human
vision, technical possibilities and cost efficiency. Pushing megapixels to
the max is a bad idea while keeping the sensor size the same, I agree.

1920x1080 is about 2 megapixels, that's not to much. But 50-60fps is a
number that definitely improves movement reception. So I don't agree that
such a frame rate is just sold as a pseudo-benefit to rise the price.

Greets,
Kiste