[MPlayer-users] gir repository and vaapi

José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues bernardo at bandos.net
Wed Apr 21 06:59:55 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 04:39, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 03:37 +0200, José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues wrote:
> > Has anyone ported the gbeauchesne vaapi patches (
> > http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/<http://www.splitted-desktop.com/%7Egbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/>)
> to the git
> > repository? The latest version has gone back to giving me trouble with
> the
> > subtitles, and I'd like to test with the enhancements in git, but porting
> > those patches is beyond my ability.
>
> I don't know whether such a version of the patches exists, but I was
> wondering about your use case. What kind of system do you have where
> VAAPI support is essential? And you talk about needing it to "test"
> subtitle functionality - surely shouldn't need VAAPI to just test
> whether subtitle rendering produces correct results?

Hi Uoti,
I have a GMA500 based netbook - a asus eeepc 1101HA. With vaapi I can watch
1080p movies without dropping a frame, without it I am lucky if I can watch
648x480 movies. But the problem is the subtitles. Some movies will play with
a.s.s subtitle rendering, others will crash mplayer and only play with
non-a.s.s. subtitle rendering, and others will crash mplayer with non-a.s.s.
rendering. I haven't yet been able to find a pattern. I usually rip my
dvd/br or record HD tv, then download the subtitles from the net, and very
rarely re-sync them. The subtitles for Portuguese are usually encoded in
latin1 or windows1251.
Ah, and without vaapi enabled the same movies play without crashing, but
with huge framedrop and slowness.
Regards