[MPlayer-users] No hebrew font windows-1255 can't use hebrew subtitles

aviramof aviramof aviramof at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 19:05:40 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Oliver Seitz <info at vtnd.de> wrote:

> > i have just reinstalled Ubuntu 10.04 completely meaning i formated and
> > detected that i still have this problem with gnome-mplayer
> > and smplayer and that libfribidi-dev is not installed by default with
> > gnome-mplayer or smplayer at all and that hebrew windows 1255 is also not
> > installed by default only iso-8859-8 maybe that is something that you
> > should
> > check and update in the next svn or official version of mplayer.
>
> As I understand, the svn version _is_the_ official version. And thus, as
> mplayer is published mainly in source-code only, it can not automatically
> install dependencies.
>
> If Ubuntu provides packages for gnome-mplayer or smplayer, it's the Ubuntu
> people who decide what to put in that packages or what to make them depend
> on. MPlayer developers have little influence on that.
>
> Greets,
> Kiste

still there is a problem with mplayer and hebrew translation i never used a
lot of translation in ubuntu and most movies and
series i see without translation but in some movies like avatar and etc i
need subtitles for everyone not just me and that is
how i noticed that there is a problem the strange part is that if i download
libfribidi-dev from synaptic and compile from source
it's ok in gnome-mplayer but not in smplayer and i still think that if
mplayer would include hebrew windows 1255 like vlc it should
work properly no matter what ubuntu team would do.