[MPlayer-users] forced subs:on ignored in .idx file?

Rob McMullen robm at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 11 21:40:53 CEST 2010

I'm trying to work with forced subtitles for encoding movies like
District 9 which has alien language translation in the vobsub rather
than burned in to the video itself.  I've ripped the movie to .vob
with .idx and .sub files containing the subtitles.  In the .idx file,
I changed the forced subs line to:

forced subs: ON

but when playing with standard command line, all subtitles are
displayed.  I added a debug print in spudec.c (spudec_parse_extradata)
to show when that line was read out of the .idx file, and reran with:

mplayer -msglevel spudec=9 district9test.vob

which shows:

SPU: .idx forced subs now enabled
SPU: Display only forced subs now disabled

meaning that the forced sub from the .idx is getting overridden by the
that mp_property_do is called *after* reading the .idx, so it resets
the forced subs to disabled:

I realize the "-forcedsubsonly" command line can be used, but I'm
trying to create a .mkv with two sets of subtittles, one to display
only forced subtitles and one with all subtitles.  Are forced
subtitles intended to be a global option to a session of mplayer, or
should it be on a per-subtitle basis?

Rob