[MPlayer-users] Trouble with HD-PVR recordings

Charlie Gunyon charles.gunyon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 21:03:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos<cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Charlie Gunyon <charles.gunyon <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=0 -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau -correct-pts
>> -autosync 0 -mc 1 -cache 8192 /dev/video0
>
> -vo vdpau:deint=0 -autosync 0 are the defaults
> I do not recommend to try correct-pts with PAFF streams (= H264 streams that
> show the behaviour with MPlayer you describe)
>
>> mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=0 -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau -correct-pts
>> -autosync 0 -mc 1 -cache 8192 -lavdopts
>> skiploopfilter=all:skipframe=nonref /dev/video0
>
> skiploopfilter has no effect with -vc *vdpau
>
>> Frames are still dropped, and while I know I specified this, more are
>> dropped than I specified.
>
> You asked to drop (approximately) every second frame (skipframe=nonref), are you
> sure the program drops even more? (The option allows deint=4 on my 8400 GS)
>
> Please do not top-post, it is considered rude.
>
> Carl Eugen

Hi Carl.  Sorry I didn't mean to top-post, I thought that meant
'replying to a post earlier in the thread', not 'putting text in the
top of a post'.  Hopefully this one is less rude :)

Anyhow yes, -mc 1 and -demuxer lavf -nocorrect-pts works for the
sample there but it's seriously low bitrate.  I've uploaded a
different sample in Matroska (still h264 and AC3) with a higher
bitrate at http://www.charlieg.net/downloads/tv.mkv.  The actual
bitrate is variable but I think it peaks around 18mbps.  I'm still
getting 'Your system is too SLOW to play this' messages and A-V
desyncs; here's what I've tried:

- mplayer -vo xv -mc 1 -demuxer lavf -nocorrect-pts tv.mkv (SLOW message)
- mplayer -vo xv -mc 1 tv.mkv (A-V desync)
- mplayer -vo xv -demuxer lavf -nocorrect-pts tv.mkv (SLOW message)

- mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau -mc 1 -demuxer lavf -nocorrect-pts
tv.mkv (SLOW message and A-V desync)
- mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau -mc 1 tv.mkv (same)
- mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau -demuxer lavf -nocorrect-pts tv.mkv (same)

Note that none of these are doing any deinterlacing.

I tried the following options:

mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=4 -vc ffh264vdpau -mc 1 -demuxer lavf
-nocorrect-pts -lavdopts skipframe=nonref tv.mkv

And I avoided the SLOW message and A-V desyncs, but playback was quite
choppy.  I assume this is due to 'skipframe=nonref' but if this is the
result I don't see it as a solution.

I can create another sample with a lower bitrate if 18mbps is too high
(it seems like it, but Wikipedia says 1920x1080 @ 30fps can max at
20mbps...), or I can use CBR if you think that's causing a problem.

Thanks for your help,
-Charlie