[MPlayer-users] Failure to maintain A-V sync

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed Sep 2 20:58:05 CEST 2009

This is a continuation of my search for enlightenment as to why on
playing certain MPEG2 files, mplayer cannot maintain A-V sync.

The two logs (edited for size) attached to this post are from:
mplayer -ao alsa::device=hw=0.3 -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg2 -alang ENG
foo.MPEG2

Fox40-test-MPEG2-beforedd.log is from the first few minutes of a
program recorded OTA with HD HomeRun.

Fox40-test-MPEG2-afterdd.log is the first few minutes of the same file
cut off using dd:
dd bs=1M count=100 skip=0 if=Fox40-test-beforedd.MPEG2 \
of=Fox40-test-afterdd.MPEG2

On playback of Fox40-test-beforedd.MPEG2 mplayer is unable to maintain
A-V sync and drops frames (see log).

On playback of Fox40-test-afterdd.MPEG2, mplayer mainains
A-V sync, and there are no dropped frames.

In other words, dd appears to solve the A-V sync problem. (cp does not)

I'd really like to understand why this happens. Some readers will
recognize this as a restart of my thread "audio leads video". My PVR
was out of commission for a couple of weeks (MB replaced). I'm still
trying to understand the problem.  FWIW, this happens with only one
channel, so it may be something in their transmission. On all
recordings, sound and video are great, and only Fox40 has sync
problems.

Thanks.