[MPlayer-users] MP4Box hinting broke mplayer playback

Leif Lundstrom wrtrdrctr at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 19:30:51 CEST 2009

My fault for not fully testing a technology, but, I ran MP4Box -hint
against my LARGE mp4 collection on Ubuntu 9.04. It ran without errors,
but now video can only play smoothly for 13-15 minutes on any file in
MPlayer. I've tested in MPlayer, SMPlayer, Boxee, Totem and vlc. Now
here are the results: (S)Mplayer can only play the first 13-15 minutes
smoothly afterwards it becomes choppy and unwatchable, Totem and vlc
both play the files fine (playing straight through and seeking) but,
and here's the odd point, if I use vlc to stream a video to my phone
(HTC Dream/Android/G1) the same behavior presents itself at the exact
same time mark on the video.

My question is if anyone knows what
this behavior is and how to resolve it? I made an attempt to unhint the
files, but this caused some files to dissapear and the ones that didn't
still exhibit the same behavior as before. I sure hope there's a dev
out there listening. I'm also posting this to mplayer and vlc in the
hopes that someone knows the culprit.

Neonrush