[MPlayer-users] Cutting DVD video with the '-sb' and '-endpos' options

Jonathan Busby jonathanbusby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:35:44 CEST 2009

RC wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:09:54 -0500
> Jonathan Busby <jonathanbusby at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately the part(s) of the source video
>> that I marked to be encoded using Mplayer with '-edlout' , 'i' and
>> '.' for frame-stepping do not correspond (...) to the part(s) encoded
>> in the output video.
>>

> Your description is very hard to follow.  If you are saying that you are
> frame-stepping to get to the frame in question, then hitting "i" to
> generate an EDL entry, I can see why that wouldn't work as expected.
> You may want to try using -edlout with -nosound, or perhaps a low
> enough speed value that you can hit "i" accurately without pausing and
> frame-stepping through the video.

That's what I was saying ie. I navigate to a position, say, a
second before the frame at which I want to use 'i' to place
the starting cut entry, and then I frame step using '.' until
the desired frame shows up. At this point I press 'i'. I don't
see any other way to do it, unless you're Spiderman :).

> If you still can't generate an accurate EDL file, you may try editing
> the values by hand, or use some other app to generate the EDL file.

The problem is that all the software I have in my repertoire
has either a) an audio de-synch issue with the source video
or b) an issue understanding the source video, for example,
Cinelerra.

>> I've repeated the above only to get the same *exact* results -- the
>> timestamps produced by pressing 'i' with the '-edlout' option using
>> Mplayer do not correspond to *absolute* timestamps. That is,
>> whenever there is a progressive<->interlaced transition in the
>> source video that results in a frame rate change the video timestamps
>> often get skewed eg. either by being reset, or jumping backwards.
>>

> Yes.  Which is exactly what -hr-edl-seek exists to fix.

The problem must lie then in the inaccurate timestamps
generated by Mplayer and subsequently written to the EDL
file. See the attached text file for an example. :)

>> So, unless I'm missing something really obvious, it seems that the
>> utility of using Mplayer as a cutting tool for non-progressive video
>> is nil.
>>

> MEncoder isn't designed to be a video editor.  It does just happen to
> work well for many of us, however.
>
> Why do you insist on using MEncoder when there are REAL video editors
> out there (and I certainly don't mean Avidemux)?

Please suggest a video editor besides Cinelerra or Avidemux
that is free and runs on Linux natively -- I haven't found
anything else that is suitable, but again I don't know much
about the video editing scene. :)

Jonathan