[MPlayer-users] BUG: long file names with Japanese characters

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Mar 14 17:33:38 CET 2009

ricardo colon wrote:

> Good Afternoon
>
> I am having an issue with loading a Japanese TV show .
>
> I'm running the following version of SMPlayer on windows:
> Version: 0.6.6 (SVN r2599)
> Using Qt 4.4.2 (compiled with Qt 4.4.2)
>
> There seems to be an issue where smplayer will not play a file if it
> contains a file name with many Japanese characters. Renaming the file
> to a short name in English fixes the issue.

What about to a short filename containing Japanese characters, or to a
long file name in English?

> For example, the file I have is: (TV) [ドラマ] ブラッディ・マンデイ 第01話 「日本最後の日!1
> 人の命か!?千万人の命か!?最凶ウイルステロの陰謀と伝説の天才ハッカ—の闘いがいよいよ今夜はじまる!!」 (1280x720
> DivX684).avi

I copied one of my existing video files to that filename (on an NTFS
filesystem created for the purpose), and it plays just fine in MPlayer
from the command line (without a corresponding subtitle file, though
that shouldn't make a difference). I'm under Linux, so my command line
environment won't necessarily work the same way as yours in this
respect, but you might test playing your file directly that way and see
what happens.

This mailing list is for discussion of MPlayer; SMPlayer is a
third-party-ish front-end, and to the best of my awareness, is not
supported here. There do seem to be Web forums linked from the SMPlayer
site, and there may be support available there.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.