No subject

Sat Mar 21 19:08:20 CET 2009

player didn't work under xine, mplayer, and especially not under Windows
PowerDVD, it appears you have a hardware problem with device hdc (I take it
you have multiple hard drives (or partitions) and that hdc is your DVD-ROM,
right? If this is a hard drive, then you have a failing hard drive. If this
is your DVD-ROM player, then that's where you should look

I have been reading where DMA enabled on some DVD-ROMs can sometimes cause
problems. Mandrake and Red Hat automatically turn DMA off in the
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. I don't know about the others. You could make sure
it's disabled by using hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc.

You might also want to investigate the IDE SMART code utilities to read the
SMART statistics generated by your IDE drives.  For Linux, try this site:
http://www.linux-ide.org/smart.html. Under Windows, you could try
www.executivesoftware.com and try their SMART utility (I think you get a
30-day free trial).

Lastly, there are some DVD-ROMs that will NOT play on RPC-1 (region-free in
the BIOS)-coded DVDs. I had problems, too, but I don't remember who the
studio was that's now checking to see if the player is completely code-free.
This is NOT a problem with RPC-2 drives since they MUST have a region
defined. What happened is that when this particular DVD started, it asked
the player for the region and received no response so the moview wouldn't
play. Newer code-free software fixes this problem (DVD-genie on Windows) and
the libdvd* files from the Penguin Liberation Front (www.plf.org). I think
the studio was Columbia Pictures but I'm just not sure and it only affects
newer DVDs (within the last year or so).

Hope that gives you some things to look at.

Dave