[MPlayer-users] Linux USB - VGA/DVI adapters?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Mon Jan 19 12:18:00 CET 2009

>> Haven't seen something like that, I only know of a USB to VGA adapter
>> which is very cheap but also very dumb. You can hope to play a 640x480
>> video on it, but don't think about using two at a time.
>
> Makes sense; if it is all software decoding then this is going to be CPU
> bound.

Not only that: If the decoded picture is transferred uncompressed,
640x480x25framesx24bit results in almost 180MBit/s on the USB. That's
quite a lot...

If there is an extrenal USB-to-VGA-adapter that can decode video I would
assume two things:

It will need external power supply. 2.5 Watts, as delivered by USB ports
will not suffice.

It will, being a quite rarely sold item not be significantly cheaper than
a full little computer from mass production.

Anyway, good luck!

Kiste