[MPlayer-users] feature request - decode video but don't render to a window

Chuck Crisler charles.crisler at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 12:49:55 CET 2009

Yes, unfortunately it is a hard requirement for me to render the video
into my own window. I have used the -wid option for early development
but can't for the final working version.

So, I think that I need to develop my own backend. Does it need to work
across multiple platforms? If I use a shared memory region, could it
have a 'well known name' that other apps could access? Or, do I need to
pass in a name? The name question also applies to a synchronization
event. Alternatively, I could pass in the XID of a Pixbuf or Pixmap
(Pixbuf preferred but I don't know if it would work). For Windows that
could be a HBitmap. Which approach would fit the current architecture
and implementation philosophy better?

If I do a reasonable implementation, is it likely that this would be
picked up into mplayer? If so, how long does that usually take?

Chuck